29 March, 2011

Kensington Palace and Spitalfields Market

On Sunday Carol and I had planned to met up with a friend we hadn't seen for years at Spitalfields Market. I decided to make a day of it and meet my cousin Brendon as well. Brendon and I met at Notting Hill Gate station and ventured to Kensington Palace. Unfortunately it was closed for a massive redevelopment, but on such a beautiful day it was still worth the visit. We strolled around the grounds and laughed at men running in revealing lycra!


Kensington Palace and gardens

Then it was off to Liverpool Street station to meet Carol and Sarah before hitting Spitalfields Market. That seemed like a straightforward task given the Central line was going when I left that morning. But as I am learning lots of tube lines are down on weekends for maintenance. Without too much drama I made it with time to spare. Spitalfields Market is by far the best market I've been to, with such a range of stuff from £5 dresses to £50 bags. I sampled olives, got some aromatic jasmine tea and a good-quality cotton trench coat for spring for £20. It was my first time to East London as well and I liked what I saw. It's arty and has lovely boutiques dotted around - definitely where I'll look to live if I can afford it! After refueling we spent an hour shopping and then sat down for a wine and Greek food. It was so cool catching up with Sarah who lives in Devon. South-West England here I come!



Sarah, Carol and myself

A few hours later Carol and I enjoyed a curry down Brick Lane and wrangled a bottle of wine, two starters and two mains for £10 each. Bargain. Not everything in London is expensive! As usual it was a bit of a rush to get my train back to Henley, but I made it. That night Scotland played Brazil in football at Arsenal so there were lots of Scottish men in kilts on the train. It made for a loud and entertaining trip home.

No comments:

Post a Comment